[tor-dev] Has Core Tor Development Slowed? Or Are We Moving To Rust/arti?

Hi tor-dev@,

I hope you all had a great holiday season.

I noticed that Core Tor development, especially with the tor daemon, has slowed down significantly since the COVID crisis.

Sorry if I have been less active in the Tor community as opposed to the past. I've been more focused on FreeBSD Ports as of now, but I still want to post at least the occasional Tor patch here and there.

Core Tor/Tor hasn't seen an update since December 21, even when we are already a week into 2021.

Is this related to the layoffs which happened last year? Or is Tor moving to Rust (via arti) and all the development is happening there? I'm guessing both.

If it's the latter, I guess I have to start learning Rust sooner rather than later. Well, who am I kidding, I had to learn C# and PowerShell for my job (Disclaimer: I work at Microsoft, not on security or Windows/Azure however).

Is there any other reason?

Best,

Neel Chauhan