Re: [tor-dev] Tor Relay Setup Wizard

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:01:18AM -0700, Damian Johnson wrote:
> 1. Selection for what you'd like to be
> http://www.atagar.com/transfer/tmp/arm_wizard1.png

I'd suggest sticking with the name 'Non-exit' relay rather than making up
a new term ('Internal Relay') that nobody else uses. Unless you want to
convince everybody that non-exit relay is a bad name and we should switch?
I'd be amenable to switching, but I don't think "Internal" is the right
word. Which leads me to:

Your description of an exit relay may mislead people into thinking that
it *only* handles exit traffic -- meaning it doesn't get connections
from users.

Perhaps changing 'Connects...' to 'Also connects...' would do it?

> 2. Picking your relay options, with both descriptions of the options
> and why you'd want to set them
> http://www.atagar.com/transfer/tmp/arm_wizard2.png

Does "Low Relaying Ports" mean 'try to bind to 80 and 443'? Perhaps that
should be 'Listen on Popular Ports'? I guess it depends if your users
know what 'Low' is and what it implies.

You point to a url at atagar.com here. If your not-so-humble goals are to
come true, it seems we should have a page on the website that has these
pointers? Or maybe it's better as a faq entry (to avoid "omg there are
so many pages how was I ever supposed to find that one")?

> 3. Confirmation for the configuration it's making
> http://www.atagar.com/transfer/tmp/arm_wizard3.png

In the comments at the very top, I'd suggest changing "restart tor" to
"or restart tor", to make it clearer that any one of the three steps
will accomplish the goal.

You might also want to change the comments on the Log and DirPortFrontPage
lines so they show up before the config line, meaning you can actually
read the comment.

> 4. ... then in the frozen land of Nador they were forced to eat Sir
> Robin's minstrels. And there was much rejoicing.
> http://www.atagar.com/transfer/tmp/arm_wizard4.png

Woah, your logs are in reverse order. :)

--Roger