Re: [tor-dev] (meek|flashproxy)+(obfs3|fte|scramblesuit|...)

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM, David Fifield <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 03:08:38PM +0100, Kevin P Dyer wrote:
> Are there any roadblocks that prevent us from doing the following?
>
> 1. Remove the hard-coded bridge_prefs.js in the TBB.
> 2. Set meek as the default pluggable transport in the TBB.
> 3. Use meek to acquire an up-to-date bridge_prefs.js from, say,
> torproject.org.
> 4. Use the information from the acquired bridge_prefs.js to connect to Tor as
> normal.

Flash proxy does something similar when it starts up and does
rendezvous. The helper program flashproxy-reg-appspot uses the meek
domain fronting trick (but simpler) to find out its own IP and send it
to the facilitator. You wouldn't actually need to fire up meek; you
could just front an HTTPS GET request for the document you need.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/flashproxy.git/blob/HEAD:/doc/flashproxy-reg-appspot.1.txt
https://gitweb.torproject.org/flashproxy.git/blob/HEAD:/flashproxy-reg-appspot

I don't know that you'd want to rely on it entirely--meek over App
Engine doesn't work in China and we haven't deployed any other backends
yet.

Is App Engine blocked in China?

Nothing is ever going to be as reliable as a file you already have
on disk.

We could have a file on disk as a fallback option, right?

I supose this is because you want to make FTE bridges dynamic?

Exactly.

-Kevin