Re: Single hop connections?

Tor caters to several different audiences. For individuals that want Tor for counter-censorship rather than privacy (ex. Chinese users) single-hop circuits make a lot of sense, IMHO. It would be faster for them and place less load on the Tor network (assuming exit nodes aren't the bottleneck). Chinese users use open proxies all the time simply to get around the great firewall, and this would allow them to use the Tor network like a big proxy grab-bag. If they don't need privacy then making them go through extra hops seems a lose-lose for both them and us.

However, it's not all roses and sunshine. One gotcha dr|z3d brought up on irc was: "The point about single hops is that it exposing the node operator to inordinate risk of legal pressure." Another issue might be making the network appear more desirable to p2p traffic (allowing for more speed probably means more abuse in that regard). Cheers! -Damian