Re: [tor-dev] Interested in GSoC - Hidden Service Naming or Hidden Service Searching

Hi George, thanks for the reply.

On 03/02/2014 06:27 AM, George Kadianakis wrote:
I'd like to see human-readable names in HSes, but I'm not very
familiar with Namecoin. I don't want to discourage you from working on
this, but I'm not sure if I would be a good mentor for this.
Any idea who might be a good mentor for this idea?
BTW, I remember watching a presentation about namecoin, and it seemed
like there are still a few serious unresolved problems (domain
squatting is easy, no revocation, lightweight clients are
impossible).
Domain squatting is known to be an issue, and there are proposals to adjust the name pricing structure of Namecoin to disincentivise squatting. While these proposals are not implemented at the moment, I think it's likely that they will be implemented in the future.

There is a workaround (recently implemented) for a specific use case of revocation: a Namecoin name can import data from a second Namecoin name, in such a way that one name can be held in a safe location while the other name would be easier to update (but overrideable by the first name). So if the easy-to-update name has its keys compromised, the safely-stored name can recover the situation. This doesn't solve the more generic revocation problem; I will inquire with the Namecoin developers about this. (I think it's possible to add full revocation support to Namecoin in the future.)

Lite clients do not exist right now, but are definitely possible to build. The UTXO lite client being implemented for Bitcoin should be mergeable to Namecoin in the future.
Also, namecoin are not anonymous, but people who get HS
domain names care about anonymity.
You are correct that Namecoin addresses are linkable. I think it's likely that Zerocoin or CoinJoin will be implemented for Namecoin in the future, which would solve the issue. In the meantime, I think the best way to get mostly-anonymous namecoins would be to obtain bitcoins, run them through a mixer, and use the resulting anonymized bitcoins to purchase namecoins on an exchange. (Most exchanges don't ask for identification unless you're using government-issued currency.) I think some exchanges block Tor, so it might be necessary to use a proxy or VPN between Tor and the exchange.
Yes, you seem like a good match for this project.

Familiriaty with YaCy will be very useful indeed.

On the crawler side, may I suggest you to also look into archive.org's
Heritrix crawler?  Someone told me that it's what the cool kids use
these days for crawling the web but I haven't used it myself.
Thanks for the tip, I will look into Heritrix.
I think you would be a good candidate for this project. However, be
warned that it's likely that more good candidates will apply for this
project so it might be a tough competition.
Is there a way that I could submit two proposals (one for each of the projects I listed), so that if there's tough competition for one project I can still be considered for the other? Or does GSoC only permit one proposal per student per organization?

Thanks,
-Jeremy Rand