Re: [tor-dev] Panopticlick summer project

Gunes Acar:
> Thanks for all the feedback Mike,
> I'll be in touch with you and Georg on the Tor side.
>
> For the other discussion: I don't think open-sourcing Panopticlick is
> critical for this work.

Sure, we can always write new code. That said, if you want to do that (I
am still not sure about it) it might be a good idea to write up a
proposal containing the requirements Mike mentioned in his email and how
you'd like to implement them. Additionally, it might be a good idea if
code could somehow be shared with tests needed for QA. Maybe the feature
extraction part could be modularized in a way that both can share, say,
the feature extraction part. Dunno if that works or is smart, though...

> Actually we've been planning to publish the aggregated Panopticlick
> data with Peter and this may be the perfect time to do it. Frankly, I
> don't think EFF was reluctant to collaborate with you, rather I guess
> they simply had no time.

Oh, you have missed Yan Zhu's last email. I'll quote the relevant parts
for your convenience:

"Peter says he has some reluctance to open source the project (not the
data) because it might make it easier for some websites to track
visitors without their consent."

Georg