Re: [tor-dev] Performance and Security Improvements for Tor: A Survey

Hey,

Great read. Very information.

Some minor corrections:

p.8 "First, It has been estimated... "; "It" --> "it"

p.14 "... results an unfair allocation..." --> "... results *in* an
unfair allocation"

p.15 "... global throttling can only bypassed... " --> "... global
throttling can only *be* bypassed... "

p.15 "He observed that throughput was significantly improved with the
use of multiple circuits; however, using two circuits performs better
than using one circuit or more than two circuits—using more than two
circuits increases the chances of choosing a slow router."
-> ; "He observed that throughput was significantly improved with the
use of multiple circuits; using two circuits perform better than using
one circuit, however using more than two circuits increases the chances
of choosing a slow router."
(just a suggestion to clarify the statement)

p.18 "Jansen and Reardon agree that cells most of their time waiting in
the socket output" --> "Jansen and Reardon agree that cells *SPEND* most
of their time waiting in the socket output"

p.23 " In their first protocol (which is the basis for all their
subsequent protocols), [*?what?*] replaces the RSA encryption, which was
used for circuit construction prior to the current ntor protocol
(described below), with a DH key agreement in order to reduce the
computational cost." --> Perhaps "In order to reduce the computational
cost, a DH key agreement replaces the RSA encryption, which was used for
circuit construction prior to the current ntor protocol..."

p.27 "... as the Tor network had grown over the years, the above attach
of Murdoch and Danezis... " --> "... as the Tor network had grown over
the years, the above *attack* of Murdoch and Danezis... "

There also some interesting problems copying and pasting the document,
but I believe that is the result of either acrobat or notepad++ removing
the hyphens between hyphenated words.

Also, minor differences between "deanonymize" and "de-anonymize" and a
few others make people like me notice. They're both correct, but using
one form then the other tripped me up.

Good consistent use of American English. I'm not American, so the words
didn't match my spelling, but the consistency of using one style, and
not flip-flopping was refreshing.

Anywho, I realize it was already published, but wanted to help anyway.
It's quite possible I missed some as well. There were other things I
would have changed, such as when to present acronyms, but as it's
already published there is no point in commenting about them now.

For the all the devs, if you'd like me to proof-read anything, send it
my way and I'll have a go at it. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes
to documentation, and read them for fun so, if you don't send it to me
before you publish it, I'll still send you the corrections after they're
published.

Kind regards,

Matt
Speak Freely