[tor-dev] Directory Server Consensus Status Flag

Hi all,

I'd like some opinions. Currently authorities give relays the V2Dir if
they are useful directory servers. Clients don't actually care about
this flag in any way, but it's a useful visual indicator. With proposal
237 (All relays are directory servers) and #12538 as its implementation,
the current plan is to continue using the V2Dir flag, but now clients
will actually care if a relay has the V2Dir flag and choose directory
servers based on it.

Tickets #11103 and #1338 actually wanted to get rid of the V2Dir flag,
for good reasons. If we're going to rename the flag, we should do it
before #12538 is merged, and probably make the change in the same
branch.

The V2Dir flag needlessly specifies an unuseful protocol version. #1338
suggested switching to a V3Dir flag, but it was decided this was not
such a good idea. Proposal 185 chose a "DirCache" Consensus flag.
I think either "DirServer" or "DirCache" are good choices for this,
but DirServer is more in line with the wording used in Prop 237.

Are there any objections to changing the name of the flag?

(There will be another email in a few minutes with an updated
version of prop 237.)

Thanks!
Matt