Re: [tor-dev] compass: new group by options: by-contact, by-OS, by-version

On 19/03/15 15:12, Nusenu wrote:
> Hi Karsten,

Hi Nusenu,

> I added a few new grouping options to compass:
>
> -T --by-contact (#6675) (Maybe we should truncate contacts and
> remove the undefined)

I didn't look at the ticket or code, but truncating contacts sounds
like it could confuse users more than help them.

Removing the undefined contacts, or rather treating them specially
sounds like a fine plan.  I guess missing values should be treated
similar to missing values are treated in the other fields.

> -O --by-os -V --by-version (#6855)

Again, I didn't look at the code, but you might want to take into
account that there's no check whether the platform string says "Tor
1.2.3.4-something".  You should probably treat platform strings that
don't stick to that schema as missing values.

> +expose -N options in html (was implemented but not exposed in
> gui)
>
> https://github.com/nusenu/tor-compass
>

> For all output I (mis)used the nick column as a quick solution
> since it is not used otherwise when grouping.

Heh, sounds like a hack that will confuse other contributors and the
future you in 3 months from now.  It's probably worth rewriting this
now, as long as you at least know why it's a quick hack.  It's going
to take less time overall. :)

> Advertised bw is broken for some time. There is no
> 'advertised_bandwidth_fraction'  (This field was removed from
> onionoo in November 2014.). Is it ok to change this to
> observed_bandwidth? (which would be a non fraction item)* ?

I'd say just take out advertised bandwidth *fraction*.

> (The MyFamily lookup is also broken)
>

> short commit log: - add new group by ContactInfo option: by_contact
> (-T, --by-contact) (quick 'n dirty)
>
> - added new grouping -O, --by-os     (all BSDs are merged into one
> group)
>
> - added new grouping by tor version (-V, --by-version)
>
> - tell app.py about new options (by_version, by_os, by_contact)
>
> - expose -N option in html and fix a missing label tag
>
> - include network data in html output when using -N (uses nick
> column)
>
> - expose by_version, by_os and by_contact options in HTML
>
> - if it is just one item, display the actual value for AS and CC
> instead of saying (1)
>
> What do you think about it?

I think it's awesome that you picked up Compass development *and* use
it to find configuration problems of relay families and other
problems.  This is really great, thanks for doing this!

Regarding the tickets and code changes, you should know that Compass
doesn't have an active maintainer right now.  All I do is keep it
running, but I can't work on enhancements nor review submitted patches.

I think you should fork Compass, maybe give it a new name, run it on a
small VM somewhere, and become the maintainer for that.  I'd be happy
to add a link to https://onionoo.torproject.org/.  I could also
imagine adding a short text on https://compass.torproject.org/ that
links to your service as the new Compass.

And just in case you were wondering, if you ever have a feature
request for Onionoo, I'd be happy to discuss that.  In contrast to
some of its clients, Onionoo itself is actively maintained.

Thanks for caring about this!

All the best,
Karsten

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/8901B1D2D4C0D3398C3F8363247B5AABF31369E4