[tor-dev] Proposal 259: New Guard Selection Behaviour

Hello,

proposal 259 has evolved plenty since the last time it was posted on
[tor-dev]. All the technical discussion can be found in various threads, and
here is a thread about the proposal itself as it is now.

The current proposal is pretty much done, and it's currently being implemented
for testing. We imagine that during testing we might have to slightly alter the
algorithm and its parameters to improve performance and security.

Here are some behaviors that are still unspecified in the current proposal
based on our discussion yesterday:

- What exactly should be done if a circuit has restrictred requirements?
  (e.g. it needs a Fast/Stable guard, but our top guard is not Fast/Stable)

- How exactly should directory guards work? Should the guard lists be
  initialized only with directory guards? Or should we just initialize our
  guard lists from the set of all guards, and just skip non-V2Dir guards
  whenever we need to make a directory circuit? FWIW, there are currently 2076
  guards, out of which 1659 support V2Dir (i.e. they are directory guards).

- How should the algorithm work wrt ReachableAddresses? I wonder how the
  current algorithm work wrt ReachableAddresses and if it's behavior is good.

---

Filename: 259-guard-selection.txt
Title: New Guard Selection Behaviour