Re: [tor-dev] Walking onions status update: week 4 notes

Hi Nick,

On 30 Mar 2020, at 09:18, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Walking Onions: week 4 update

== Next steps

In this coming week I plan to try to wrap up section 3 on voting and
section 5 on extending circuits.  I'm going to go back to the start
of section 2 and start revising all I've written so far for
consistency.

Some typos, ambiguities, and questions:

In the client and relay root documents:

require-versions should be require-protos

In the voting description:

It seems weird to suddenly add a ".txt" extension to tor's

directory URLs. No other directory URL has an extension.

(Apart from DirPortFrontPage.)

This sentence fragment is ambiguous:

"more than half of two" for example, means "at least 1",

not "one or more"

I suggest:

"more than half of two" for example, means "greater than 1",

not "one or more"

N_PRESENT is a typo here:

The lowest integer that is greater than half of N_FIELD.

Equivalent to CEIL( (N_PRESENT+1)/2 ).

Do we need a list of MDs, one for each consensus method range?

   ? md_literal : LiteralMD,

Measured is a uint, not a bool:

   ? weight : {

      bw : uint,

      ? measured : bool,

      ? unmeasured : bool

   },

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2432

In the DirPort link specifiers:

IPv6 addresses MUST be in square brackets.
(To avoid port/address confusion.)

[EXTENDING] https://github.com/nmathewson/walking-onions-wip/blob/master/specs/05-extending-circuits.md

[VOTING]  https://github.com/nmathewson/walking-onions-wip/blob/master/specs/02-voting-and-authorities.md

[WIDE_EVERYTHING]