ExitNodes config use fingerprint rather than nickname

I am considering trying my hand at a patch to allow fingerprints to be used in place of nicknames for ExitNodes and EntryNodes config variables.  (There are quite a few duplicate nicknames floating around which are not immediately obvious. I added a list of them yesterday to http://www.pickaproxy.com/?speak=tor so they can be easily identified.)  The problem currently is that duplicate nicknames cannot be used as specified exit or entry nodes.

Can someone (Nick?) give me some pointers to start, with respect to how nicknames are used to select exit and entry nodes?  Or is this going to require significant changes?  I do not see any functions defining a direct relationship between a nickname and a fingerprint but suspect there is one somewhere.

Wesley