Re: [tor-dev] Directory authority of type bridge?

> On 11 May 2016, at 12:49, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor <teor2345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On 11 May 2016, at 12:38, Nicholas R. Parker (RIT Student) <nrp7859@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hey again all, got another one for you.
>> When we've started adding bridges to the network, they send a warning "Publishing server descriptor to directory authorities of type 'Bridge', but no authorities of that type listed!"
>>
>> Not sure how to have a directory authority as a bridge type given that if you set BridgeRelay 1 on an authority it drops the DirPort and just becomes a bridge relay.
>>
>> How does one list an authority as a bridge type?
>
> Have you read the entries about bridge authorities in the tor manual page?
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en
>
> GENERAL OPTIONS
>
>       AlternateBridgeAuthority [nickname] [flags] address:port  fingerprint
>           These options behave as DirAuthority, but they replace fewer of the
>           default directory authorities. Using AlternateDirAuthority replaces
>           the default Tor directory authorities, but leaves the default
>           bridge authorities in place. Similarly, AlternateBridgeAuthority
>           replaces the default bridge authority, but leaves the directory
>           authorities alone.

Hmm, and you might want this one with the bridge flag:

       DirAuthority [nickname] [flags] address:port fingerprint
           Use a nonstandard authoritative directory server at the provided
           address and port, with the specified key fingerprint. This option
           can be repeated many times, for multiple authoritative directory
           servers. Flags are separated by spaces, and determine what kind of
           an authority this directory is. By default, an authority is not
           authoritative for any directory style or version unless an
           appropriate flag is given. Tor will use this authority as a bridge
           authoritative directory if the "bridge" flag is set. If a flag
           "orport=port" is given, Tor will use the given port when opening
           encrypted tunnels to the dirserver. If a flag "weight=num" is
           given, then the directory server is chosen randomly with
           probability proportional to that weight (default 1.0). Lastly, if a
           flag "v3ident=fp" is given, the dirserver is a v3 directory
           authority whose v3 long-term signing key has the fingerprint fp.

           If no DirAuthority line is given, Tor will use the default
           directory authorities. NOTE: this option is intended for setting up
           a private Tor network with its own directory authorities. If you
           use it, you will be distinguishable from other users, because you
           won't believe the same authorities they do.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B