Re: [tor-dev] What Should Tor Bridges and Clients Do When They Get Hosed?

On 09/11/11 16:12, George Kadianakis wrote:
> The easy choice is an "HTTPS" server with the default Apache "It
> Works!", or a closed basic access authentication, but really
> implementing a spoofed HTTPS server in tor will be a PITA, because
> censors can easily test us by provoking one of [0] (there is a reason
> that HTTP servers usually require lots of LoCs to work).
>
> Maybe we should ship a configured Apache server with the long-term
> future "Anti-censorship Tor Bundle"?

Sounds good. But is this also vulnerable to fingerprinting? There's
nothing gained if Tor-Apache sticks out like an inflamed digit.

> Also, what happens to Tor on Linux when it can't listen on port 443?
> Or when port 443 is already taken? HTTPS servers on 9001 sure look
> sketchy.
>
> Any ideas are welcome.
>
> Any services widely used, frequently seen with SSL support, that
> handle traffic that kinda looks like Tor's and are easily
> implementable, are also welcome.

People use SMTP, POP, IMAP, XMPP over SSL (off the top of my head). Not
sure any of them look convincingly like web traffic though.

Julian

--
3072D/D2DE707D Julian Yon (2011 General Use) <pgp.2011@xxxxxx>