Re: [tor-dev] What happened to Tor Router?

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 06:32:27AM -0800, sina@xxxxxxxxxx wrote 1.3K bytes in 0 lines about:
: I am trying to update myself on the status of Tor Router. I remember not
: too long ago it was a sexy project, funds were raised and people got paid
: to work on it. Has it been abandoned? How come we still don't have a Tor
: hardware router?

It's still a sexy project to some. Funds were never raised to do work on
it, at least not by Tor Project or anyone directly related to us. It's
been available to the community to take and build something. We've seen
the Access Labs work[0], OnionPi[1], and now Safeplug[2].

We did experiment with the Excito B3 platform[3] as well.

Much like the App Store[4] discussion, I think we're best suited to
make Tor as portable and performant as possible, but leave hardware
integration to others. We're the experts on Tor. We should stay focused
on Tor and not get distracted with things that can run Tor. I'd rather
see 3rd parties consulting with us to build "tor routers". We don't have
the expertise nor resources to handle the hardware product lifecycle.

This is a fine topic for discussion.

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/OpenWRT
[1] http://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview
[2] https://pogoplug.com/safeplug