Re: [tor-dev] tor-dev Digest, Vol 9, Issue 8

On 10/14/2011 08:00 AM, tor-dev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Rob Jansen<rob.g.jansen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>  If you have the need to run Tor experiments, or are just interested in the
>  Software, please try it out. We would love any feedback or comments or
>  suggestions if you have them!
i've got more, but first off:

- why secondary dependencies not in git and not opt-in?
  e.g. downloading
http://shadow.cs.umn.edu/downloads/shadow-resources.tar.gz  - if you
run fully offline build systems this default behavior breaks builds.

True, this is a good point. My original reason is that I thought the latency data we collected from PlanetLab was too large to put in git. Since then, my experience with git and its way of handling changes leads me to believe this isn't an issue after all. Also, it is unclear to me that resources should be versioned the same way that source code is.

- what about hw acceleration in performance estimates?
  e.g. openssl dynamic engines in virtual CPU processing.

We incorporate CPU delays into Shadow by giving it a CDF distribution of real measurements of application and CPU throughput, and "delaying" the processing of events based on this distribution. You can model HW accel by skewing the distribution, or better yet creating a new one based on real measurements of an accelerated OpenSSL/Tor.

- is there a shadow-dev in addition to shadow-support?:)

Not yet. Since you asked, it will be up in a few days:)

>  We are continuously working on improving the simulator, including more
>  efficient use of multiple CPU cores and a command-line interface to help
>  with installing Shadow and some of its dependencies.
https://github.com/shadow/shadow-cli  also handy.

thanks!

Thanks for the comments, feel free to share your others.
Rob