Re: [tor-dev] Reproducibility of Pluggable Transports python.msi

Thanks David, great info! Last time I checked, I think the C implementation was also still shipping with something, I think Orbot for Android. Perhaps this is also for either flash proxy or FTE support, since Python is not the best option on Android.

From the graphs it looks like FTE is still in use, but that flash proxy seems to no longer be used.

If I recall correctly, the core FTE code is actually written in C and is just using the Python PT implementation with Python-C bindings to the FTE library. So a port of the FTE PT to the Go PT implementation seems possible.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 4:50 PM, David Fifield <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 03:33:24PM -0400, Brandon Wiley wrote:
> I am in favor of standardizing on the Go codebase for pluggable transports that
> ship with Tor. This is something we talked about at the last developer meeting.
> The reason I favor this is not for reproducible build reasons, but because
> maintaining four implementations (C, Python, C++, and Go) is confusing for PT
> developers. As far as I know, since the last developer meeting all Tor products
> have been migrating towards shipping the Go PT implementation so that they can
> get obfs4 support. Last I checked, some of Tor products are also shipping other
> PT implementations in order to maintain access to transports not available in
> Go. I imagine that there is some time in the future where there will no longer
> be any bridges available for the older transports and so bundling clients for
> them will no longer be necessary. However, I don't know what the current level
> of use for non-Go transports is. I'd love to know if someone has those stats.

You can see the usage of each transport here:

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-transport.html?graph=userstats-bridge-transport

obfs2 - Go
obfs3 - Go
obfs4 - Go