Re: [tor-dev] Simplifying load balancing by removing Guard+Exit?

On 25 Sep 2015, at 01:33, Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also hear from large node operators that it is still the Exit flag
that causes their nodes to really become overloaded, so if that's
actually true, then it's likely that Exit nodes make poor Guards anyway,
especially if Exit bandwidth is scarce (which it often is).

So, what do people think? Does anyone violently disagree with removing
the Guard flag from Guard+Exit nodes?

I wondered how many guards would we have before and after this change:

1021 Exits

1725 Guards
* 412 Guards that are Exits
* 1313 Guards that arenât Exits

This would be a 24% decrease in the number of Guards, which seems ok, particularly if theyâre not good at being guards anyway.
(Counts from the 2015-09-24 21:00:00 microdesc consensus in my local Tor Browser data folder.)

Would we also want to disable the DirPort on Exits? Or is that a small amount of extra load?
Similarly, what about the HSDir flag?

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F