Re: [tor-dev] Draft proposal -- no number yet: How to safely drop support for old clients.

On 30 Sep 2015, at 12:01, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[This isn't done yet, but I've shown it to enough people that I should
share it with the list.]

1. Introduction and background

1.1. Motivation

  Frequently, we find that very old versions of Tor should no longer be
  supported on the network.  To remove relays is easy enough: we
  simply update the directory authorities to stop listing them.

  But to disable clients is harder.  We can do as we did with v1
  directories in Tor 0.2.0.5-alpha, and make them know about no relays
  at all.

1.2. History

  Early versions of Tor checked the recommended-versions field in the
  directory to see whether they should keep running.  If they didn't
  recognize

their own version, they would stop (what?).

3.2. Disabling versions prior to 0.2.4.11-alpha.

  Starting in version Tor 0.2.4.11-alpha, we implemented proposal 214.
  This proposal added a new link protocol, version 4.  Earlier version
versions
  of Tor never support it; newer versions of Tor always advertise their
  support for it.

  We could treat the presence of any link protocol of version 4 or
  later as indicating the presence of 0.2.4.11-alpha.  Upon receiving a
version 3 or earlier as indicating the presence of a version less than 0.2.4.11-alpha.
  connection from such a version, we could throttle the bytes we give
  it, drop its circuits, or stop reading.

  [TODO: which?]

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F