tor server shutdown

I am running a tor server with tor version 0.0.9.7 (latest with debian) and most of the time tor tends to use all the available cpu and most important, memory resources (around 256 MB -128 RAM & 128 swap), which makes all other processes starve and occasionaly (once a day for example) die. Given those problems I will shut down my server, until a proper mechanism for resource control will be made available in the options for tor...