Re: bandwidth limit strangeness

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:53:23AM +0100, Mike Cardwell wrote:
[snip]
> BandwidthRate          64KB
> BandwidthBurst         64KB
> MaxAdvertisedBandwidth 64KB
[snip]
> With the bandwidth limits set as they are, why is tor using up nearly
> 1 Megabit per second? I thought it might be the directory mirror not
> being counted in the bandwidth usage, but from googling, I see this
> shouldn't be the case?

I am guessing you are one of those people who count bandwidth by
the sum of incoming bits and outgoing bits?

I am one of the people who count bandwidth by how many bytes are going
in a given direction.

Alas, there are many more types of people even than the two of us. The
man page tries to lay it out clearly.

Does that help resolve it?

(Btw, setting MaxAdvertisedBandwidth only has an effect if the value
you choose is less than your BandwidthRate. So in the above it doesn't
do anything.)

Thanks,
--Roger