Re: BadExit flag still needed for PrivacyNow...

Scott Bennett(bennett@xxxxxxxxxx)@Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:24:56AM -0500:
>      On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:54:31 -0500 Bill Weiss <houdini+tor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >Scott: if the current owner doesn't have an account set up, _you_ could go
> >to the OpenDNS page (via Tor so it come from that IP) and fix their
> >settings :)
> >
> >[1] http://www.opendns.com/start/
>
>      Tsk, tsk.  Although I suspect that that would not actually violate the
> criminal statute about unauthorized access, it would nevertheless be quite
> unethical.  Consider the possibility that, laying tor out of view for a
> moment, there are other uses being made of that computer and/or network for
> which such blocking might be desired by the owner, e.g., content blocking
> for a household full of children with several computers available to them
> on their home network.  Granted, an exit should *not* be run in such an
> environment, but it is not anyone's business to muck with the configuration
> of someone else's computer or network.

I considered adding something to that like "It isn't what I would do, but
it's up to you to say if you'd be ok with it or not".  I strongly doubt
there's anything illegal about configuring OpenDNS for an unclaimed IP
(which is different than if the IP is attached to an account there).

I'll leave my commentary about the wisdom of outsourcing your content
filtering for your children to a company you have no actual relationship
with unsaid.

--
Bill Weiss