Re: [tor-talk] Will TOR interfere with anything on my dell laptopwith Windows?

It works not only with Firefox, but with a wide variety of other web
programs, including a number of chat clients, etc. It is a SOCKS
proxy, and thus not limited to only ports 80 (normal web) and 443
(encrypted web), although a few commonly abused ports are blocked on
most exit nodes.

However, the pre-configured Firefox it the Tor Browser Bundle (and
also JonDoFox, which made some different choices, such as including
NoScript even for Windows users) has been configured to increase the
security and privacy of your browser for use with Tor so it keeps you
more anonymous. With Internet Explorer, you don't get that protection,
nor, to my knowledge, is it possible to configure Internet Explorer to
provide equivalent protection.

However, Internet Explorer's settings are treated as system settings
by a number of programs. So if, for example, you wanted you AntiVirus
to check for updates through Tor, setting Internet Exploer to use Tor
might do the trick. Then again, maybe not: it is optional for other
programs to respect Internet Explorer's settings. If you really want
to be sure, you'd have to check the settings of your AntiVirus or
force it through a socksifier.

If I were you, I'd configure IE as best I could, and then go on to use
the Tor Browser Bundle or JonDoFox anyway. That way, you'll get the
security/privacy enhancements of the pre-configured Firefox, but
you'll also get anonymity with applications that respect Internet
Explorer's settings, and if you ever need to look at an IE-only
webpage anonymously, IE will be ready for you.