Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

On 4/21/2011 1:22 PM, Kraktus wrote:
Well, if I had an 8-core machine with 4+GB RAM, or even a single-core
machine with over 1 GHz and at least 1GB RAM, I'd probably have four
browser profiles for Firefox alone: ...

However, seeing has how my computer is single core, less than 1 GHz,
and has less than 1GB RAM, running one instance of a modern browser is
hard enough on the poor thing.

Don't know if you were replying to the earlier post (that I wasn't sure if he wanted to install 2 versions of FX on his machine).

Why would you want to run several instances of Firefox - SIMULTANEOUSLY? When I said it was easy to install multiple versions, or multiple instances of same version, didn't expect users would be running them at the same time. If you are short on RAM / CPU & want different VERSIONS, of course have to install them in diff folders, & set them to use diff profiles (if desired). But, other than needing to switch between running installations for a specific purpose, no need to have them running simultaneously. Run one & when thru w/it, shut it down & start the other.

I believe you can also run simultaneous instances of same FX version (most likely using different specified profiles). Typically, one install will be the default. Others can be started using specific profiles by adding the profile name (or full path incl profile name) in the shortcut target box, after the path & executable. Like after C:\......\firefox.exe" -p myprofile4-21-11 -no-remote

This assumes the profile name is already entered properly (or created) in Firefox's profile.ini file. You can create a new profile name using the profile manager. The firefox 4 [beta profile mgr] (not yet incl w/ the setup) has more options than one w/ FX v3.x. I've used it - had a couple minor issues, but over all, allows specifying which installed version will use which profile.