Re: [tor-talk] Better Privacy for Tor Node Operators

On 04/25/2011 03:04 PM, Curious Kid wrote:
> Is it plausible that a group of people could be NATed together with a node
> operator?

I would say most or many nodes that are hosted at home are behind a NAT
router together with people. These people do not necessarily know about
the Tor node at their public IP address.
(even though they could easily find out)

> How does limiting node data eliminate the problem of an IP address
> match?

If by 'limiting node data' you mean bandwidth throttling, this has no
influence on the issue.

> Isn't this more a problem of historical data being publicly available
> ad-hoc? Where is it kept? Is there a need or good use for it? (Yes, of course
> would-be attackers could maintain their own lists.)

The Tor server descriptor archive (metrics.tpo) is very useful to help
understand and improve the Tor network.

> If one doesn't want to use Tor to visit example.com, maybe a non-blocked one-hop
> proxy would work.

As a Tor user you probably know that one-hop proxies are weak by design.

> I don't know how to solve the bigger problem of IP address
> linking without using a remote proxy.

I made a feature request. If the use of this feature actually improves
the situation of an node operator depends on how many other nodes are
using it on the same AS (and other things).