Re: [tor-talk] CloudFlare

Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That page is a very predictable side effect of having a flag for people
> with strong need for privacy. I guess we know which Wikipedia users are
> valuable or doing something interesting, right? o_0

  Disabling account creation by Tor users also doesn't prevent the more
insidious conflict-of-interest editing problem on Wikipedia.

  Why not allow account creation via Tor, but limit each node to X per day,
require email validation, and build in a time delay before they can be used
to edit?  Maybe block page creation and edits on semi-protected pages
entirely?  It would be annoying to spammers and vandals, but still allow
real users to get involved.

  It would be cool if accounts could be anonymity-enabled in such a way
that they could submit "anonymous" edits (where their real username is only
visible to admins or high-level moderators).  That's doable with Mediawiki
installations, so why not Wikipedia itself?

Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That page is a very predictable side effect of having a flag for people
> with strong need for privacy. I guess we know which Wikipedia users are
> valuable or doing something interesting, right? o_0

Yeah, that's a bit problematic, especially in light of the recent French
police / Wikipedia kerfuffle.

--
Please note that I do not have PGP access at this time.
OTR: saint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / fontaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx