Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

On 04/29/2013 07:32 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
Tor has a rather severe reputation problem at the moment.  Given the
recent revelations around malware on the network, and the
pervasiveness of pedophilia, I think we should consider a course of
action to help boost the network's PR.

For one - while nobody is interested in acting as the police and
stamping out the pedo material, cleaning up links to pedo sites on
the hidden wiki and the various other link dirs would be a good
start.

As a newcomer to Tor, as I explored the various onions out there, I
felt as if practically everywhere I turned there were links taking me
to pedo sites, IRC channels etc.

I recognize that free speech means free speech for everyone, even
those with views that we find objectionable, but there's nothing to
stop the community from turning a cold shoulder to these people who
see informed consent as being an optional or academic concept.

Hi Chris,

Here, in the Netherlands we have the hotline[1] to report sites
containing child porn. They will evaluate and report to the proper
authorities. Other countries may have similar hotlines.

It should be safe to report there, although I guess they already know about onion sites. I'll inquire with them but guess it will take a few days to get an answer, due to queen/king issues these days.

However, given the nature of onion sites, I don't know how the police
investigators could track and take down the source without defeating the
anonymity of Tor.

Perhaps the authorities already do and leave *us* in the dark. :-)

1: http://www.meldpunt-kinderporno.nl/EN/.htm