Re: [tor-talk] Does Tor need to be recompiled *after* the openssl update?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014, Matthew Finkel wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 05:04:27AM -0400, hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > For those of us who compile Tor from source, does Tor need to be recompiled
> > *after* the openssl update from our OS vendors?
>
> "Maybe". If you are upgrading OpenSSL from a much older version then you
> may need to recompile Tor (so it knows about the newer version and uses
> the correct headers and such) but if you're simply upgrading from, say,
> 1.0.1e to 1.0.1g then you should not need to recompile Tor. If you
> restart Tor it should use the newer version of openssl without issue.

Unless tor was linked statically to openssl, using for instance the
--enable-static-openssl or --enable-static-tor configure options.

Checking that tor is not linked statically can be done with ldd:

 $ ldd /usr/bin/tor
 [...]
 libssl.so.10 => /usr/lib64/libssl.so.10 (0x00007f6081b5c000)