Re: [tor-talk] Clarification of Tor's involvement with DARPA's Memex

It has been said time and time again, that tor is not robust enough to
protect you from state actors, who ultimately control the underlying
network. The tor project has answered criticisms of collaboration and
security, with the doxxing and harassment campaign against journalists
while claiming that they are indeed victims of misogynistic harassment.
Then Tor takes a stand against such "harassment" as the vanguards of
feminism, and then starts inferring that a right not to be offended, and so
itself filtering / censoring rational and critical comments.

Things like this pushed away developers like myself, even though I've been
worked a little bit with developing hidden services and tor, because I
don't feel assured that its a viable platform, and I literally abhor jacob,
kelly, griffin, jillian, and andrea. I mean they literally say shit like
this Karen Reilly "My white privilege included hanging out in a park
after dark with LARPers without getting shot." https://archive.is/v1hY9
"@markwunsch I wouldn't work for Tor if it was a shield for misogynists. We
work with victims of abuse." https://archive.is/E6atb .

Then of course there is the matter of the operation onymous and
lizardsquad, which really goes to show how vulnerable the network is, and
how such issues are just swept under the rug. Then Andrew Lewman
coordinating more with LE, and leaving TOR to go work for an ISP
(presumably Verizon), which seems alot like a conflict of interest. It all
leaves me thinking that Tor is a double edged sword just like any other
tool, but the ones with the most financial interest and as a 'stakeholder'
in the tor network, is the US "cyber defense" / surveillance establishment.
Which is why I am more interested in developing alternatives, and actively
steering people away from tor, if they are looking for real anonymity or
security.