Re: [tor-talk] Clarification of Tor's involvement with DARPA's Memex

On 04/25/2015 12:26 PM, l.m wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Lodewijk andrà de la porte" wrote:
>> And just trying not to be dragnetted at all times. It's important
>> to sometimes use Tor, just so that when you actually do (one
>> day, for whatever reason!) it doesn't seem suspicious :)
>
> If you're trying to avoid suspicion you should use Tor for
> *everything*. If you only use Tor when you have something to hide, or
> to avoid censoring, or to avoid dragnetting, you'll definitely stand
> out when you do use tor.
>
> --leeroy

I prefer that local observers see me using popular commercial VPN
services, rather than Tor. Where I live, VPN users are much more common
than Tor users.

Also I prefer to have a VPN speedbump, albeit arguably small, between my
entry guards and ISP uplink. Just in case shit happens.

And so I always use Tor through nested chains of at least two VPN
services, or from remote servers that I've leased anonymously. I access
my remote servers through nested chains of at least three VPN services.
I pay using multiply mixed Bitcoins, where at least two mixes have no
detectable taint. They're FDE (LUKS with dropbear) and I abandon them if
they ever reboot unexpectedly.