Re: [tor-talk] The Tor-BSD Diversity Project

Awesome.

some BSD related things from the top of my head:

- - metrics ticket to merge all *BSDs in the platform graphs:
so we can better measure the actual impact.
https://metrics.torproject.org/platforms.html

Unfortunately we do not have BW or CW fraction graphs (more relevant
than relaycount) on metrics but I added a snapshot of platform CW
distribution in that ticket.

> *  to increase the number of Tor relays running BSDs, focused on
> the server/network layer

That was one of the reasons I started ansible-relayor.
OpenBSD 5.7 (to be released on 2015-05-01) comes with rcctl, that made
multi-instance support very easy.
FreeBSD is less optimal in that regard, but FreeBSD's tor port
maintainer said he will look into the planed (Nov 2015) FreeBSD
multi-instance support of rc.d [1] - which then could also be used by
the tor port.

[1]
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2014-October/003570.html

> *  documentation for configuring FreeBSD and OpenBSD relays

Libertas has put efforts into finding out why OpenBSD apparently
under-performs.
(see tor-* ML archives)

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/doc/TUNING#n38
FreeBSD section
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/doc/TUNING#n13

With more relays running OpenBSD we might shed some more light on that?

Was also recently mentioned again here:
http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/tor-bsd/2015-April/000285.html

> *  to engage the broader BSD community about the Tor anonymity
> network

an idea: maybe talk to forums.freebsd.org / www.freebsdforums.org
operators about making their sites available also to tor users as well?

tor-bsd mailing list: