Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser Linux_don't extract to root

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:11:48PM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> What is the reason(s) the TBB instructions say do not install (extract) TBB
> to root?
> Is it so the TBB files will be in a location where the user has write
> permissions, so that TBB updates can automatically  D/L and install?

Yes, that's the biggest advantage, I think. We don’t want superold versions of
TBB to be used, do we?

> Other than that, does installing TBB to a location where anyone / anything
> has full r/w/x permissions (like in /home), weaken the security of Linux,
> compared to packages installed via a distro's software manager?

If "anyone / anything has full r/w/x permissions" in /home on your system,
you're doing something very wrong. Only the individual users should have write
permissions in their own home directories. On a multi-user system it is also a
good idea to give "world" zero permissions in your user home directory so no
other users can read your files.
--
4096R/1224DBD299A4F5F3
47BC 7DE8 3D46 2E8B ED18  AA86 1224 DBD2 99A4 F5F3