[tor-talk] Using Orbot standalone

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:36:18 -0400
Alessandro Donnini <alexdonnini@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize in advance if this question (see below) was asked (and
> answered) previously. I could not find any information on it.
>
> I would like to incorporate a proxy server in my Androd app to perform
> gate keeping and toll taking functions.
>
> Orbot is described as
>
> "... and also provides an HTTP Proxy for connecting web browsers and
> other HTTP client applications into the Tor SOCKS interface. ..."
>
> Could (a modified) Orbot be used as a device-based proxy server without
> interfacing with the Tor network?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions about this,
>
> Alex Donnini

This message tells you everything about Orbot without having to ask. It
provides an http->socks interface. Your first problem is that the
user-agent (browser) will not be able to use https. The second is that a
proxy server is different from a proxy client. This just forwards http
connections to a socks proxy -- it probably could be modified to go to
other socks proxies than tor. So, it's a proxy-client-glue-layer for old
SW; or it sounds like that.

Here's a diagram to make it more clear:
Firefox->tor->tor-proxy->tor-proxy->tor-proxy->main-Internet->server
Firefox->Orbot->tor->tor-proxy->tor-proxy->tor-proxy->main-Internet->server

Now if all you want is an http proxy on your local computer, Android or
any other, I'd suggest sparing yourself the trouble of modifying Orbot and
going with privoxy. https://www.privoxy.org/

I hope it helps,
David