Re: error noted in

Hey everyone, I need some help...
I installed Tor on my SLES server. I looked at the tor.log.1 and it stated "client functionality is working". I obviously wanted to set up a server to help out, so I modified my torrc file and the torrc.log.1 file stated: "ORPOrt is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor. Performing bandwidth self-test...done. [warn] Your server xxxxx has not managed to confirm that its DirPort is reachable."

I figured I did something wrong, but I checked my router, ports forwarded correctly, firewall is also allowing ports. Weird part, i was getting all these messages (every 20 minutes or so) and they stopped. Today I find an empty log file, and the old one has been zipped and backed up. Im not sure if the application did this on its own.  The last [notice] I received states: Catching signal TERM, exiting cleanly. Almost sounds like everything is ok but:

Yesterday the server was on the list here: http://moria.seul.org:9032/tor/status/authority

Today it is not. I looked at the cached router list and last read/write history was at 4:21 this morning...

I just want to know if it is working fine or not. I haven't been able to get privoxy to work with my Suse!!! and I installed the Tor button on my firefox and it gives me a proxy error. (I am sure those two are related LOL, so I'm working on that) But I guess I don't want to blindly continue on this problem if my server really isn't up and running like I thought...please help!!!

On 8/21/07, Robert Hogan <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
On Tuesday 21 August 2007 19:14:52 Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, jasondockery96@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > In my message log I have this error.
> >
> >  [Warning] ControlPort is open, but no authentication method has been
> > configured.  This means that any program on your computer can reconfigure
> > your Tor.  That's bad!  You should upgrade your Tor controller as soon as
> > possible.
> >
> > I have upgraded to the newest alpha and stable and still get this error.
> > is this normal?
>
> alpha / stable Tor, or Tor controller like Vidalia?
>
> The message is perfectly OK, and the problem its states is true.

indeed, unfortunately it's confusing to the uninitiated who have no reason to
suspect that their 'tor controller' has nothing to with their 'tor
installation'.

--

Browse Anonymously Anywhere     - http://anonymityanywhere.com
TorK    - KDE Anonymity Manager - http://tork.sf.net