Re: Tor TransPort on OpenBSD?

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 06:11:38PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:

>      I must be missing something here.  Why does tor need access to /dev/pf
> to use the TransPort feature?  I thought all that should be necessary was
> to add a RDR to /etc/pf.conf and reload it.

It needs to access /dev/pf in order to determine the original
destination address before redirection (using DIOCNATLOOK ioctl).
For Linux, Tor uses getsockopt() for the same purpose, so there
is no device node to access there.

See connection_ap_get_original_destination() in
src/or/connection_edge.c for details.

--
Christopher Davis