Re: The pirate bay, torrent and TOR

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Teddy Smith <teddks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 20:18 +0200, Noiano wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>> as you may know The Pirate Bay is being blocked in Italy for legal
>> issues. It's just a matter of time before all connection to all the TPB
>> servers will be blocked. Many people are suggesting to use tor+vidalia
>> in order to bypass the block. It's a good suggestion but, IMHO, people
>> care very little about just surfing thepiratebay.org. They want to
>> access the tracker and download ;-) .
>> Since I do not know the torrent protocol I wander: is it possible to use
>> tor as a "proxy" to access the tracker and get the data connections not
>> passing through tor? This would be possible if the request a client
>> makes to a tracker contains the non-tor ip of the client, I guess.
>>
>> Any idea is welcome.
>>
>> Noiano (from italy :-P  )
>>

> IIRC, a few months ago someone set up a tracker as a hidden service,
> specifically for this kind of thing. I didn't test it myself, but some
> people reported success.

Hello,

I think what is being talked about is something far simpler: accessing
TPB through Tor, but have the P2P connections not being blocked.  This
is actually the recommended way of using Tor with P2P, and is easily
possible in most clients.  I only know about deluge, seeing that is
what I use on my Ubuntu box, and all I had to do was check "Tracker
Proxy" in the settings, and type in my Tor SOCKS proxy.

Let me know if this helps, and good luck!
Kasimir

--
Kasimir Gabert