Re: Comcast throws down gauntlet to residential accounts

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:39 -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
> Verizon residential service is only available at my location if I also
> buy their telephone service, the combination of which would cost ~
> $80/mo. and
> also require a 12-month contract.  I have yet to get the details on
> Verizon
> business-class service, but it seems unlikely to be any cheaper.
> Verizon's
> residential service does not currently have a cap, but I don't know
> whether
> they prohibit listening on ports accessable from the Internet.

I believe they do, under the same guise of prohibiting "servers" on
consumer-level accounts. I haven't read the AUP, just something I've
heard. That being said, I've been running sshd+vpnd+other assorted gunk
on my "FIOS" connection for a while, so I would presume that they don't
actively enforce that policy.

Are there any non-business ISP's in the US that are positive towards
using your connection at all? It seems like everything is capped or
AUP'd up the wazoo, to the point where you will *not* get what you paid
for.