Re: Comcast throws down gauntlet to residential accounts

     On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:09:23 -0400 Praedor Atrebates <praedor@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Monday 10 August 2009 02:55:13 pm Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Scott Bennett<bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> > business-class service, but it seems unlikely to be any cheaper.
>> >  Verizon's residential service does not currently have a cap, but I don=
>'t
>> > know whether they prohibit listening on ports accessable from the
>> > Internet.
>>
>> VZN's residential AUP prohibits "servers" along with a number of other
>> offensive prohibitions which they don't currently enforce. (For
>> example, you're prohibited from using your VZN broadband for anything
>> "sexually explicit").
>>
>> As I recall the business FiOS AUP had it's own set of ridiculous
>> terms... but it didn't attempt to prohibit you from running "servers".
>
>AUPs are rarely enforced.  They are there so they can cut you off if/when=20
>someone complains or you do something to annoy them.
>
>In any case, I would run my servers regardless of their AUP.  NO ONE tells =
>me=20
>I cannot run sshd or any other of what I consider personally critical apps.=
> =20
>They also don't get to tell me not to run a tor relay.

     That is a good attitude to take when you run a tor relay in a vicinity
where there is an adequate number of competing ISPs with diverse policies,
so that if one gives you trouble, you can quickly jump to another.  But I'm
afraid that where I live it will just get you disconnected from the Internet.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG