Re: [tor-talk] Hijacking Advertising to give a Tor Exit node economic sustainability?

For whatever it's worth, this seems to be a common model for a number of free VPN and Glype-style Web-based providers, who cater to clients attempting to get around content filtering. I've been interested in the mechanics and economics of the approach, but haven't yet had time to do any investigation.

CDA

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Jim <jimmymac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:
> Ok, modifying user traffic it's a tabu', but let's just consider for a
> moment how many useful things for the user and for the tor project could
> be done.

Perhaps the user doesn't *want* those "useful" things done for him.
Perhaps he knows what he is doing and is already doing *exactly* what he
wants to do.  Very slippery slope!

(Not that I think there is a remote chance that such an exit node would
not be marked as a bad exit just on general principles.  I just wanted
to point out that I find this "nanny state" attitude of "we know better
than you" offensive.  It's bad enough when ISPs break NXDOMAIN, etc.
Although I doubt that you meant any harm.  :-)

Jim

Collin David Anderson
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.