Re: [tor-talk] reddit.com wants EFF to disable HTTPS???

Uh, woops. Checked my tor inbox before checking my main inbox. The
main issue appears to be debugging CDN support for HTTPS for all urls
rather than any particular opposition to allowing anonymous access to
encrypted content.

Sorry for the noise.

Thus spake Mike Perry (mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx):

> Thus spake grarpamp (grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx):
>
> > > The bug is that its probably overloading their site, and/or pushing
> > > traffic onto very expensive specialized hosting.

> > > I think this position is silly. If HTTPS everywhere says no to
> > > reddit's request, the site will just make it not work.
> >
> > How does HTTPSE stack up against the various illegal
> > access/use of computer/resource laws. After all, the sites may
> > not intend for that to be the general access method. Of course
> > HTTPSE is just an agnostic tool and the user would be
> > to blame. But it does strike rather silly that a site would
> > complain when they enable HTTPS over whatever portions
> > of their site they chose... and a user uses it as such. Oh wait,
> > that's the 'he said she said' illegal access thing again :)
>
> Speaking as one of N authors of this addon**, my stance is:
> "Lolwut? Sounds liek g8 PR 4 U. I tink u shud soo every1 U can!"*
>
> * Note1: I have no direct affiliation with the EFF. I'm sure the
> official legal opinion on this matter is slightly more nuanced. I'm
> guessing it balances on the fact that the EFF is acting as a publisher
> of rules that others submit and does not exercise editorial control.
> I've personally argued that the addon should provide an arbitary
> subscription model to avoid editorial liability entirely, but
> apprently this is not necessary?
>
> ** Note2: I do not review rules, and I did not write this particular
> rule.
>
> P.S. HTTPS-Everywhere seems to only ship with a subset of reddit rules
> enforced by default. Is this the "wrong" subset? Why is is "our"
> responsibility to determine the "right" subset? Can't u jis fix ur
> shit, reddit?
>

> --
> Mike Perry
> Mad Computer Scientist