Re: [tor-talk] Vidalia bundle DNS question

From: "Manuel" <tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 07:00:20AM -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "Andrew Lewman" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> You can't.  DNS queries will go through Tor. If you query your local DNS
>>> servers, your dns provider learns every domain you wish to visit. Even if they
>>> don't see your traffic because it travels through tor, your dns lookups will
>>> give away what you are doing, when, and how often.
>>>
>> Well that's not good.  You see many DNS servers are poisoning the servers I wish to
>> contact and when I uses a specified DNS server I get to the host.
>
> Huh? That sounds like a weird situation. Are you trying to circumvent a DNS-level
> "block"?
>
>> When I do Tor many Tor connections have been DNS poisoned.
>> I can't use my IP address more than once or I get rejected.
>
> Again, that sounds like a weird situation and a misguided attempt to
> secure something.
>
> Anyway, you're basically trying to do something that will unmask your
> browsing behaviour to the DNS server, as Andrew pointed out. Torbutton
> won't let you do that, to the best of my knowledge. You can use a
> browser (or a separate Firefox profile) where you set the SOCKS proxy to
> Tor's listening port (127.0.0.1:9050, by default) and which doesn't do
> DNS resolution over the proxy. Chrom{e,ium} does that by default, IIRC.
> Firefox will do it if you browse to about:config and set
> network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to false.
>
> You can then also add the name you're trying to resolve to your hosts
> file (as in, /etc/hosts or your OS's equivalent). That would stop most
> DNS lookups.
>
> The much safer alternative is to find at least a few Exit Nodes that
> don't poison your DNS result and explicitly specify them using the .exit
> TLD.
>
> For instance, to visit www.weirdsite.com via exit Alice, use
> www.weirdsite.com.alice.exit.
>
> See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/493 for a small
> pitfall and some solutions when using a browser.
>
> You can also use the ExitNodes configuration option to pass all your
> traffic through a set of nodes. Of course, it reduces your anonymity
> set. Remember to specify StrictNodes (for newer versions; see release
> notes)/StrictExitNodes (for older versions).

Anonimity is not the goal.  Thwarting IP memory and GEOIP Location filtering is the goal.

Using; WGET --execute=http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8118/  <URL>
{ also with refferal and User-Agent switches }

My DNS lookups are fine due to specifically chosen servers.  It is remote DNS servers I
have to thwart.

I'm thinking their may be a; polipo.conf  setting.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp