Re: [tor-talk] Tor Usage Statistics for Iran

Hi,
I wonder how you distinguish whether the users are political opponents or just ordinary people...

On 30 August 2011 17:41, Joe Galvin <josephtgalvin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently researching the use of the internet by the political opposition in Iran for the years 2009 and 2010, and I'm hoping if you can answer some questions. Well, one specific question. At the beginning of the year the Iranian authorities began to become more sophisticated in their attempts to block Tor, but recently usage appears to have resurged to unprecedented levels according to Tor Metrics.

Was there any particular reason for this? How were the users able to bypass Iran's new censorship tech? And have you any idea why it's surged to such levels in recent months? There is no specific political or social reason why it should be higher now than ever before, so I'm curious to know why it has grown. Was there a concerted effort by somebody or some group to spread the software? 2011 falls outside my study, but it's interesting to see the growth in usage, especially as it really is a dramatic surge - over 40,000 users for August 2011 as about to a max of about 8,000 in August 2010.

Cheers,
Joe

Arshad