Re: [tor-talk] effect of Tor exit IP addresses listed on a few blacklists?

On 8/5/2012 4:56 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
1st, this isn't a "GMX" thing, although their (canned, I believe) replies to support questions, got me to wondering in a much broader way - what are overall effects of any exit node IP address being on even 3 or 4 blacklists out of ~ 75 blacklist sites? http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

Generally, I don't have problems w/ sites saying Tor addresses are on some blacklist (or denying access), but I don't sign up for dozens of sites w/ Tor, either. I checked several (not dozens) Tor exit addresses on the "list of blacklists" page above. Ones checked (U.S.), most showed blacklisted on a few of the ~ 75 blacklist sites shown. Many showed up on the same few blacklist sites, again & again (as if those sites blacklist all Tor relays??). Don't attack me on this, because I know little about it & definitely didn't do extensive research. Just curious.

But blacklist sites below & a scattering of some OTHERS kept showing Tor exit IPs repeatedly, while vast majority didn't.
xbl.spamhaus.org; <http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/spamhaus>
zen.spamhaus.org <http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/spamhaus>
cbl.abuseat.org <http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/cbl>
tor.dnsbl.sectoor.de
dnsbl.tornevall.org

Perhaps if I'd checked DE exit addresses, they'd show up on mostly US blacklist sites, if at all? I wonder how many (at once) of blacklist sites are monitored by forums, email providers, etc., when try to register / login w/ Tor? Several of the ones shown seem to be German (perhaps coincidence) for US exit addresses. If a signup site monitors any of these, then...?

Depending on a site's policy, if 70 / 75 blacklists DON'T blacklist an address, that'd seem like a good bet to allow. Then, I know little about various sites' decision process to ban addresses.

Well, after ~ 6 emails w/ GMX support (I'm QUITE sure applies to many other sites), they finally responded HOW they monitor blacklisted addresses. Probably many sites use the same resource in deciding to block (Tor) addresses.

"Generally GMX uses the anti spam websites listed on this particular link:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check  - for excessive spam registrations
or sending, GMX blacklists that particular IP temporarily."
Since there are sites on "whatismyipaddress.com's blacklist-check" that seem totally dedicated to tracking / listing Tor addresses, seems a good bet _any sites using this list_ will block many / ? most ? Tor addresses.  So far, I checked ~ 12 exit addresses from US, DE - all showed up on *a few* sites on whatismyipaddress.com's "list."

Some blacklisting sites (JUST examples): tor.dnsbl.sectoor.de, torexit.dan.me.uk apparently list (blacklist) all Tor addresses.

According to one site, http://www.onlinegamesnet.net/proxy.php, they use sites that specifically list Tor addresses, such as shown below.  I'm sure many other sites use similar, explaining why many Tor users can't login to various sites.
_DNS blacklist_....................._short description_
exitnodes.tor.dnsbl.sectoor.de 	"A list containing clients where Tor runs on."

torexit.dan.me.uk 	"A list of tor nodes online in the tor network. This list is updated hourly with the tor network."

Since tor.dnsbl.sectoor.de (one example) is *always* listed on whatismyipaddress.com, AND appears to blacklist many / all Tor addresses, it's a foregone conclusion, _any site using it_ will block most / all Tor addresses.  I'd guess Tor users that were able to register on *any* site (like GMX) that use whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check, just got "lucky."