Re: [tor-talk] Tor already running

On 8/24/12, Aaron Paden <aaronbpaden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry about that. I would have searched the tracker, but I didn't see
> it. I was thinking for a second there that you didn't have one.
> Sometimes I fail at using the Internet.

It took me several minutes of reading the list of tickets in that
âcomponentâ to find that ticket.

> So I'm not an expert in shell or anything. I know there are a lot of
> gotchas. It seems like it should be possible, though. Is there something
> wrong with using pgrep or something?

Several things:

* pgrep isn't POSIX, and it isn't in GNU coreutils (as of version
8.13), so it probably won't exist on someone's Linux system.
* pgrep only indicates that there is some process named âtorâ (or
âvidaliaâ) running, not that the specific Tor or Vidalia shipped in
TBB is running.
* There is currently no way for any program not started by TBB-Vidalia
to determine which ports TBB-Tor is listening on, and there is no way
for any such program to determine what control-port password Torbutton
will need in order to send TBB-Tor a âSIGNAL NEWNYMâ command (required
for the âNew Identityâ command to work).  (See also
https://bugs.torproject.org/6609 .)

Robert Ransom