Re: [tor-talk] HS drop

> How are you estimating 'total' here?
> (The way I'd do it is by running a bunch of relays with the HSDir flag,
> and approximating the total number of descriptor publishes based on the
> number that go to my relays.

That would be a good method if all you wanted was a number.
Yet since the dirs are blind to onions, have to check spec again
to see if new/repeat publishes are limited, a non standard client
might highly inflate things there I think?
Beyond number, having data such as the name is useful for other
things. Of course any total others (and myself) may estimate via
what amounts to surfing the visible is lower than the actual total.
Perhaps by another private third? v2 happened before real v0
comparisons there got started.

> That approach would harm network diversity though.)

Diversity is hard to verify, we have no web of trust amongst
nodes and only a rather blind signatory, thus shouldn't place
any undue confidence there beyond self confidence.
Also, afaik the family attribute doesn't apply to HSDir operations,
but that's just a flag for honest people to use.