Re: [tor-talk] Tor security advisory: Old Tor Browser Bundles vulnerable

In my opinion,

After installing TBB (Tor Browser Bundle), users should disable JS
(JavaScript) by default, and enable JS, ONLY when visiting a website
and if the user must have to, to view a very specific portion.

TBB by default keeps "Script Globally Allowed" option ENABLED or
selected, inside "NoScript" extension/plugin. It should be set to
Disabled or keep unselected.  If your "NoScript" plugin/extension
shows the option "Forbid Scripts Globally", (inside "General" tab
window), then select/enable it.

It is more important that Privacy remains intact, then a website
appearing nice on 1st visit.

User can enable JS for certain set of URL for a website, if they
NEED to, by themselves.

They just need to enable few domains with certain sub-domains of
from the "NoScript" icon or warning-button.

If a website (for example: TorProject.org) is trustworthy then users
can choose "Allow TorProject.org" in "NoScrpt" plugin/extension
("Crossed-out-alphabet-S") icon, instead of "Temporarily allow
TorProject.org" option. Then allowed site will not cause "NoScript"
to bug/ask user with prompt-message for permission.

(I requested to keep Global JS disabled by default, many times, but
many ignored, we had long conversation in IRC chans, multiple times).

The main purpose of using "NoScript" is, that, on 1st visit to a
known or unknown website, that website's JS codes not suppose to
load/start automatically, unless user (website's visitor) inspects
website first, and then allows JS for sub-domains/domains manually.

Those who want to keep JS globally enabled, they should do it by
selves and understand+take the risk, (which is not right thing to do
at-all), but that is again, just my own opinion and request.

Do not infect your web-browser or loose Anonymity on your 1st visit
to a website. (So, Keep JS off, cross-site script off/disabled, etc).

Regular user has no way to know, when a website is/was hacked or
when "some" mistake was made, and then, some unwanted
(harmful/malware) codes are coming to you and getting executed on
your computer.

There is "WOT" plugin, for non Tor internet websites. A similar new
plugin is needed, which will accept recommendation only from users
who are using "Tor" exit-nodes or onion host. So that such new
Tor-WOT plugin can show which site is trusted or not, by other Tor
proxy users. May be new one can even import some portion of data
from regular WOT, if that data is GPL/shareable.

-- Bright Star.

Received from Roger Dingledine, on 2013-08-05 8:13 AM: