Re: [tor-talk] Tor Mail Gateway (was: Re: Replacement for Tormail)

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The idea is that you can email @xyz.onion.to, and the mail gateway will
> forward the mail to @xyz.onion. The gateway will only accept PGP mails,

sounds better than average,

> and I'm thinking about enforcing TLS.

this only makes sense on the client protocols, of course. (since you
can't enforce behavior on intermediate paths of delivery. did i
mention that email sucks in many ways like this? ;)

> For the other way round, xyz.onion will be able to register and receive
> a passphrase. ...
> Maybe we should use client certificates instead.

if you discover a usable way to make client certificates, including
key management / re-keying usable, then by all means use this better
authentication mechanism!

> I invite everyone to...
> eventually, to run more mail gateways.

i still don't like this idea, but think you're approaching it as best
possible. good luck!