Re: [tor-talk] Appearing American

I'd beg to differ. There are very good VPN providers that keep absolutely
no logs so you would have anonymity in that case. I think a commercial vpn
without logs is the best way to go but you could also handpick nodes (tor
needs to have a auto feature which can auto pick nodes by country. Covert
Browser for IOS allows you to pick your exit node.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:44 AM, mick <mbm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:33:47 -0400
> Greg Norcie <greg@xxxxxxxxxx> allegedly wrote:
>
> > Is the anonymity offered by a modified Tor utilizing only nodes in
> > the USA actually more anonymous than a VPN?
>
> I'd say yes, with caveats. Using a VPN implies divulging some
> personal identifier(s) to the VPN provider at the least. You do not
> need to do that when you use tor. However, tor usage flags you as
> someone who cares a lot about personal privacy and anonymity. That in
> itself can draw attention to you. (The old "what have you got to hide?"
> chestnut.) Of course VPN usage can imply much the same, but for the
> reason I gave above, it looks less likely.
>

> > I thought utilizing a
> > subset of nodes was considered a bad idea?
>
> The tor FAQ (at ../docs/faq.html) recommends against limiting entry
> and/or exit to specific locations on the grounds that it can "mess up
> your anonymity in ways that we don't understand." If the tor builders
> themselves profess not to understand the implications, then I'd be
> inclined to trust their recommendation against it.
>
> Best
>
> Mick
>
>  Mick Morgan
>  gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
>  http://baldric.net

Nathan Suchy
If this email was not intended for you delete it and any copies you have of
it. The email was intended for "FirstName LastName". Information in this
email may be confidential and releasing it may be a violation of US law.