Re: [tor-talk] Is there a benefit to using the .onion address over a clearnet one?

With .onion addresses, provided you know you have the correct address,
you can also be sure there's no TLS MITM going on, whereas https://.com
relies on the CA system.

In addition, .onion addresses are censorship-resistant -- require the
private key to mess with, instead of leaning on / social engineering /
hacking a registrar or DNS server.