Re: [tor-talk] Wired Story on Uncovering Users of Hidden Services.

On 08/14/2014 04:48 PM, Aymeric Vitte wrote:
> I am "defensive" because you seem to make a general case of something
> that can only happen in case of browser's/OS bug, and conveying to Tor
> users that they should not use js is a non sense, you make believe them
> that intrinsically js can easily leak their ip and/or mac addresses,
> which is wrong, this can happen under extraordinary circumstances that
> have nothing to do with js, here a windows/ff bug, which could have been
> a css attack or whatever.
>
> Regards,

This was indeed an extraordinary circumstance. And it is misleading to
focus on the importance of blocking Javascript. It's also evidence for
using the latest Tor browser release, avoiding Windows, etc.

However, I do see a "told you so" here. It's foolish to think that
simply using the Tor browser is adequate protection for doing stuff
where there are serious consequences. Maybe the the comment "Everything
you need to safely browse the Internet. This package requires no
installation. Just extract it and run." on the download page needs a
"don't do stupid stuff" warning. Also, maybe the "Want Tor to really
work?" section needs to reiterate the "don't rely on Tor for strong
anonymity" warning. Maybe even something about firewall rules. Yes?